I’m a bit obsessed with using my George Foreman grilling machine at the moment. It occurred to me the other week that I could use it to toast a Panini. I immediately set to work thinking what I’d fill it with. It didn’t take long… within a few minutes I had a Panini plan! It was a good plan because it made me dribble thinking about it. I was in an almost possessed state when I went to the supermarket straight away to pick up what I needed.
Quite often, what I imagine can be better than what I get to taste, but in this case it actually tasted better than I imagined! And the grilling machine didn’t even need much cleaning after. Result!
The best Panini ever!
– 1 part baked Ciabatta (an 8-9” one is good)
– 1 tbsp Olive Oil
– 2 Portabella Mushrooms
– Green Pesto
– 1 ball of Mozzarella
– 1 slice of Parma Ham
– 1 Tomato, sliced
– Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Unwrap the Ciabatta and bake according to the pack instructions.
2. Destalk the mushrooms, give them a brush and trim then heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Cook the mushrooms stalk side down for 4 minutes. Turn and cook for another 4 minutes on the other side.
3. Take the Ciabatta out of the oven and cut in half. Spread lightly with margarine and then spread with the green pesto. Now’s the time to put the George Foreman on, but if you don’t have one, putting the sandwich in the oven after you have made it will be fine.
4. Slice the Mozzarella ball into rounds. Line the slices on both sides of the Ciabatta. Cover half of the Mozzarella with the slice of Parma Ham and then place the cooked mushrooms on the other half. Then lay the tomatoes on top of the ham, grind some pepper over both halves and then carefully sandwich the two sides together.
5. Transfer the sandwich to the George Foreman. Stuff it under the grill being careful to keep the top aligned with the bottom. Alternatively you can put the sandwich in the oven at 180°/Gas Mark 4. Grill or warm for at least 5 minutes (it will be hard to wait around but be patient!) so that the Mozzarella melts. Give the grill a squeeze down every now and then to crisp up the top and squish the flavours together.
6. Turn out onto a plate and enjoy! Happy National Sandwich Week!